How could we rethink our K-12 curriculum for the 21st century, symbiotically combining human strengths with the most powerful technology strengths?
I think one of the biggest things schools need today to combine human strengths and technology strengths is more teacher training on technology tools. At my school we have smartboards but we have never been properly trained on how to use them. I use my smartboard daily for my math lessons. The math program we use in Swampscott incorporates a daily smartboard lesson that is aligned with the lesson of the day. I also will use interactive websites such as storylineonline, brainpop and various lessons on the smartboard exchange. However, I feel with more training I could utilize the smartboard more effectively. I am sure there are things that the smartboard is capable of that I do not even know about!
Another way I think we need to use technology and human strengths is through connecting and sharing with others. Students today are at an advantage with tools such as youtube, skype and blogging. Students can post something on youtube and the item has potential to be viewed around the world. Youtube and teacher tube also have great videos and lessons that tie into the curriculum. This past year when I was teaching a math lesson, I found a great song on youtube that helped the class differentiate between area and perimeter. The tune was so catchy that the kids were singing it all day long and requesting to watch it multiple times! We found a great video on shapes as well that caught on the same way. Bringing real life experiences, by using a pop song to help the kids learn the difference was fun and exciting to the class. It was different from a math book lesson and the kids really loved it. Anytime you can incorporate something that the kids can relate to, helps them to remember it and it fosters a sense of excitement.
Skype is another fun tool that could be incorporated in many ways. A class could skype with another school as part of a project or with someone sharing information. For example, we could skype with a local lobsterman or historian when learning about our Swampscott unit. We took many walking field trips around town to see historic sights, but skyping with some of the people we didn’t get to meet from town would have been exciting for the class.
Another way to incorporate technology is by keeping a class blog. After our field trips, I could post the pictures onto the blog and have the kids comment on their favorite part of the field trip on the blog. This could be a fun homework assignment, and something that includes the family by having the blog accessible.
Lastly, incorporating lessons on teaching the class on how to use the internet, how to research properly and how to think critically will aid the students in maximizing their time spent on these various tasks online.
Julie,
ReplyDeleteI love the emphasis you place on technology training. It is so true that just having the technology available isn't enough-- teachers, parents, and students alike need to be taught how to effectively access all of these new tools. I find that this is missing in my school as well.
Using technology really does make an impact on student engagement! My students also love watching videos with catchy songs-- it is amazing how long they can remember content when it was introduced using exciting media. I think that is one of the most fun (and beneficial) uses of technology in the classroom!
It was really helpful for me to see some of the concrete ideas you have about how to integrate human strengths with those of technology. I took a more theoretical, big picture approach, but I love the way you were so practical!